Saturday, March 6, 2010

Home Additions

In the past few weeks I have been shopping for little things to help improve rooms around the house. After completing the kids room, it's almost become an obsession to design and finish the rest of the house. I decided I wanted to keep painting, which Aaron is overly thrilled about :). I also wanted to add some draperies and new pictures and move things around. This all started when Krystle and I went to the Relief Society Stake Activity. It was called "fix it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without." It was three different classes on ideas for crafts, sewing, and decorating on a budget. After the classes I realized that one I didn't feel very crafty and creative and second that I have not been in my house long enough to already have everything I need. When you still have empty rooms, your going to have to buy a few things to make it work.

One of the suggestions was to make your own Laundry detergent. I decided why not try it. I ran around a bunch of stores looking for the supplies and came home and made a huge mess making it. For those who have a food processor, use it! It truly makes it simple and clean. It smelt so good that my entire kitchen smelled like lemons for days. I just started using the soap today and thus far love it. Everything smells nice and feels soft. You can find the ingredients at Ace Hardware and Target/Walmart. The recipe is:

2 cups Fels Napa Bar Soap - Grated finely (use a food processor here)
1 Cup Washing Soda
1 Cup Borax

Mix together and keep in an air tight container. Use 2 tablespoons per load, works for He front loading machines and regular washing machines.

They also recommended using vinegar as a fabric softener, so i am trying that too. Don't worry your clothes do not smell like vinegar when its done washing and it helps with odor.

Aside from making my own laundry detergent, I bought a new table cloth for my dining room table. It coordinates with the drapes I bought, but have yet to hang.

Upcoming projects: Finishing the guest room (I bought a beautiful new bed and have a few more touches to add to the room before I post pictures), hanging drapes in the living and dining room, and painting!


No comments:

Post a Comment