Monday, July 6, 2009

Sewing Projects for the week

It wouldn't be a blog week without updating the projects I have been working on. Before I left for California, my cousin Krystal asked me to make her a tote bag. I of course said yes! I can use all the practice on my machine I can get and its one of the only things I know how to make right now :). It really turned out cute. I had used a synthetic silk for the lining instead of canvas and that was a learning experience all by itself. I didn't have an over lock machine and the material frayed really bad so I had to double stitch everything. It was definitely a good lesson about other kinds of materials. None the less it turned out great!


My second project was making a baby quilt for my friend Krystal who just had a baby girl. I called my mom and asked her what to make and she suggested a rag quilt. So I went to the store and picked out pink and purple fabric and cut out all the pieces before driving to California. Once I got down there, my mom told me how to sew the quilt together. She kept me company while I sewed. This is the opposite of what I am used too. Usually I am keeping her company while she is sewing, it was nice being the other way around. The blanket turned out beautiful, I am going to have to buy more fabric and make one for myself. I realize I didn't take a picture of the back, but I alternated pink and purple stripes to tie in with the front.

1 comment:

  1. Great job! I have made a rag quilt for a friend before and it was so much fun! It was a little surprising though how SMALL it suddently got once I started sewing it together! My "lap quilt" became more of a baby quilt! LOL. Oh well the friend I made it for LOVED it, as I'm sure Krystal will too!

    ReplyDelete