Monday, July 20, 2009

Potty Training




So we have had a rather uneventful week because I decided it was time to get Ashton potty trained. We had started doing it when he turned two and he was doing really well. We had the potty chart and treats to entice him go. Then we realized that we were going to move and it felt like we lived in limbo forever. I knew the move would be an adjustment for Ashton so we would go potty on the toilette when he wanted, but I didn't push the issue. Now that we are moved in, settled, and getting into our routines there were no more excuses. The only advantage to waiting this long is that it has been relatively easy. I had him in pull ups for a week and was taking him to the potty every half hour to hour, but I couldn't get him to go poo poo on the toilette. Then I decided to let him run around naked and that seem to do the trick. After a day of that, I switched to real underwear. He had one accident and realized he didn't like the feeling. After that he literally runs to the bathroom when he gets the urge! I still remind him that he needs to go, but we haven't had any accidents and I didn't have to bribe him with a ton of candy to do it. He is even making it through his naps and through the night. I am so proud of him and am so glad I don't have to change his diapers any more. He is such a smart boy and knew he would get it fast as soon as I convinced him it was a good idea. And yes, Ashton has pretty much been running around the house in underwear or naked. He prefers to be naked and I always told him once he is potty trained then he could. Well the day is here and so Ashton is usually naked.

No comments:

Post a Comment